The Traffic Management Office is the military member's go-to place for assistance with the moving process. Any member who is moving to or from Barksdale should go to TMO for help.

TMO offers customer service and provides necessary paperwork needed to have personal property shipped.

TMO also helps with personal procured moves. PPM moves allow eligible members to be reimbursed by the government for moving their belongings themselves. For members who are making their first or last move, a briefing is required.

Any members who have moved duty locations before or are not separating or retiring are asked to complete self-counseling through a system called the Defense Personal Property System. Once the member’s shipment is booked, the member will be notified and a carrier will be assigned to their shipment.

When members arrive to their destination, they may have their property delivered directly to their home. For members who don’t want direct delivery to their home, they are authorized storage for up to 90 days.

To ensure household goods and property are not damaged during travel, TMO provides quality assurance inspectors.

For members who wish to ship their pets, they must ensure their pets are up-to-date on all vaccinations. Members are responsible for all expenses related to pet shipment and must comply with carrier regulations.

For more information, contact TMO at 456-5338, or visit their office on the third floor of the Mission Support Group building at 801 Kenney Ave.

ID Cards

The School Liaison Officer (SLO) is your point of contact for information about local schools and all other education topics. Whether it's school selection, education planning, learning environments, extracurricular scholastic and athletic opportunities, discipline incidents, attendance and tardiness, class sizes, strength of parent involvement, experience of educators, grading practices, student aspirations, local, state & national test results, or any other topic, we can help! Our office develops and maintains networks and partnerships to leverage on behalf of our military students.

The SLO can be reached at  (318) 456-8400 or by email at

Barksdale AFB students are zoned for the following schools:
- Waller Elementary (for students living in Historic housing)
- Kerr Elementary (for students living on the Eastside of BAFB)
- Rusheon Middle School
- Bossier High School

The Bossier Parish School Board may permit out-of-district transfers for school attendance for the following reasons:
1.  Majority to Minority – A student who belongs to the majority race in the neighborhood school may request a transfer to a school where he/she will be a minority.
2.  Child tending (grades K-6 only) – both parents/guardians must work full-time outside the home and child tending must be full-time for students in grades K-6. (Y.E.P. will not be considered a child tender for out-of-district transfer.)
3.  Bossier Parish School Board employee privilege – the requested school must be the primary place of employment or a feeder school in the same attendance district.
4.  Family hardship – family hardship is an event or circumstance that places a student in jeopardy physically, mentally or academically. A student’s after-school work, a childcare concern, or participation in school co-curricular or extracurricular activities shall not be considered as family hardships.
5.  Medical reasons – A letter from a physician (M.D.) is required, stating the specific medical diagnosis, length of time the student has been seen by the physician, date of last physician’s visit for the problem and the specific reason(s) why the student cannot attend his/her neighborhood school.
6.  Senior privilege – Senior privilege applies only to continued attendance at the school where the student completed the junior year.
7.  Intervention – Intervention is a special transfer that requires a recommendation from appropriate school/district officials.
8.  Barksdale AFB Key & Essential Personnel - Students of members designated as key & essential personnel can request a waiver to attend any K-12 school within the Bossier Parish school system.
9.  Barksdale AFB High School Students -- The following are the eligibility requirements for School of Choice for High School Students Transfer is granted only for the students of active military parents living on Barksdale Air Force Base property. Transfer is granted with the understanding that the selected school of choice will remain in effect for the duration of the student's high school years. Transfer is granted with the understanding that the parent(s)/student will provide their own transportation.

Transfer is granted upon receipt of the required registration documentation:
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card or State ID
- Louisiana State Health Card
- Proof of residence-Barksdale Air Force Base Housing Assignment Form

Out-of-district transfer applications must be submitted to the Supervisor of Special Programs for approval, and approval must be granted prior to enrollment. You must contact the Bossier Parish School Board Students Services for all registration forms. All registration forms are maintained at Student Services located in the Bossier Parish School Board Annex II located adjacent to the School Board Office in Benton, LA. For additional information, please email Ms. Judy Wilcox ( or call (318) 549-5040 Bossier Parish Schools, to complete the appropriate forms. Please read all forms and handbooks to ensure continued compliance. In order to determine the cumulative effect of transfers, the Bossier Parish School Board requires all transfers to be submitted by the third (3rd) Monday in July, with the exception of majority to minority transfers. Majority to minority applications shall be submitted by the last student attendance day of the school year. Only bona fide emergency transfers shall be considered after that date. Transportation shall not be provided for out-of-district transfer students except for reason #1.

2017 Key Dates:
Majority to Minority requests are due Friday, 2 June 2017
School of Choice for High School Students requests are due NLT 18 July 2017

Caddo Parish Magnet Schools:
Parents of students living in Caddo Parish should contact Caddo Parish School Board to determine eligibility criteria for Magnet Schools. Parents living on Barksdale AFB, should request an out of district waiver to attend a Caddo Parish Magnet School. Testing for the magnet programs can be arranged by contacting Mrs. Melinda Kay at or (318) 603-6515. Please inform her of your military status.

For Homeschoolers, refer to

Travel Documents

Catering to its rich Southern history and military background, the Barksdale Inn is the local area leader in providing military lodging while also contributing to the local community’s economy. Lodging’s Guest Service Representatives meet all guests with friendly smiles and genuine concern for making sure all have a worry-free stay. Lodging offers to its guests a business center with printer and fax service, snack foods and other sundry items for sale, and free coffee in the lobby 24 hours a day.

Refrigerators, microwaves, flat screen TV’s with DVD players, irons and ironing boards, safes, alarm clocks with battery backup and free Wi-Fi are in all rooms. All buildings have laundry rooms with ice machines. Lodging guests have access to a 24 hour fitness center located within walking distance of the main lodging office with 24 hour security. Also, a limited amount of pet friendly Temporary Lodging Facility (TLF) units are available for want to bring their four legged family members.

The front desk is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days per year.

Check-in Time - 2:00 p.m.
Check-out Time - 11:00 a.m.

Lodging Rates:
Visiting Quarters (VQ) $60
Temporary Lodging Facilities (TLF)
$63 DV Quarters (1 Bedroom)
$69 DV Quarters (2 Bedroom)
$75 Harris House

To make a reservation, fill out the RESERVATION REQUEST, then route it to for groups on orders, or to for individuals not on orders.

For more information, call 318-456-3091 or visit the office at 555 Davis Ave. West, Barksdale, LA, 71110.

Inprocessing information

What is BAFB School of Choice (K-12)?

Active duty residents who live on base with school age children now have the option to send their child to any school in Bossier Parish up to the school’s functional capacity.


How does school of choice work?

Barksdale Air Force Base (BAFB) resident school of choice (K-12) forms for active duty military families living on the base are available for pickup on 3 May 2021.  The forms are available at the Bossier School Board Annex II or at the School Liaison office located at 241 Curtiss Rd in the River’s Edge Welcome Center. Please call Jacqueline Robertson, School Liaison Program Manager at (318) 456-4098 or cell (318) 564-9099. Please pick up and complete the applications and bring them along with a military ID, proof of residence, and a copy of your lease for approval to:


Bossier Parish School Board, Annex II,

410 Sibley Street, Benton, LA 71006  


For assistance contact Yolanda Jefferson at, or call (318) 549-5037.  Once the application has been approved you may take it to the school you selected and register your student. If student is transitioning from one school level (elementary to middle, middle to high) a new application must be submitted with appropriate documentation:

  • Proof of residence (housing letter or copy of lease)

  • Military I.D.

  • Parent/student must provide own transportation

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION:  Tuesday, July 6, 2021


Will transportation be provided to school of choice students?
Parents are required to provide transportation for schools outside of their zoned schools.

Will school of choice be available for incoming personnel after school has started?

 If the first school we select does not work for us could we transfer to another school outside of the district?
Once registered at the School of Choice, no transfer can be made to any other Bossier Parish School other than the school in the student’s designated attendance zone.  School of Choice enrollment is approved for an entire school level (elementary, middle and high school).


What does school of choice mean for my high school athlete?
The Louisiana High School Athletic Association (LHSAA) eligibility requirements are not governed by the Bossier Parish School Board.  All high school athletic eligibility issues will be determined by the LHSAA.