Base closures due to winter storms
By Courtesy article, 2nd Bomb Wing Public Affairs
/ Published February 14, 2021
BARKSDALE AIR FORCE BASE, La. --
BAFB and the surrounding parishes are under a Winter Storm Warning that will progress into a Hard Freeze Warning, Wind Chill Advisory, and the potential for locally-significant snow accumulation. BAFB and area have a *significant* chance of seeing freezing rain and drizzle. https://www.weather.gov/shv/.
In response, Barksdale Air Force Base will be transitioning into mission essential status beginning Feb. 14, 2021 at 1800. Reopening will likely occur no earlier than Tuesday evening, but more information will be released as it becomes available. Emergency and mission essential personnel remain approved for base access. Telework should be used to the maximum extent possible during this weather emergency.
Base leadership is recommending all on base and off base residents to keep pets inside, drip faucets as needed, salt sidewalks outside homes to prevent icy walkways, keep an eye on home and surrounding area for damage, and remain indoors during the duration of the storm.
- 2 MDG will work to reschedule missed appointments and prioritize prescription refills once roads are passable
- 2 CES will be prioritizing road preparations and recovery such as bridges, gates, and main intersections on the base.
- Gates (beginning 1800 tonight):
- West/Shreveport Gate will remain open for 24-hr operations
- North Gate will remain closed
- Industrial Gate will remain closed but can be opened for essential deliveries with prior coordination
- Bodcau Gate will maintain its normal hours
- Force Support Operations will adjust as follows:
- Youth Flight, including the Youth Center and both CDCs will be closed through Wednesday.
- Fitness Center will be 24/7 access only starting 1800 tonight through Wednesday
- Red River Dining Facility will be on holiday hours:
- Breakfast – 0730-0900
- Lunch – 1030-1330
- Dinner – 1630-1800
- Midnight – 2230-0000
- Simply to Go – 0730-1800
- All other customer service sections including MPF (DEERS), CPO, Community Flight (Bowling, Golf, ODR, the Buff), Education Center/Library, and A&FRC will be closed for in person service through Wednesday.
- AAFES Facilities/Commissary:
- Will close tonight (14 Feb) at 1800L and will re-open on Wednesday; MTF
- AAFES (Express locations) will remain open but with limited support and may close as the situation evolves. Please be patient and prepare accordingly