Chief Master Sergeant Derek M. Love is the 2d Maintenance Group Superintendent at Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana. Chief Love advises the Maintenance Group Commander on all matters regarding the leadership, mentorship, training, morale, and welfare for 2,000 Total Force Airmen. He is responsible for overseeing logistics and maintenance for 29 B-52H aircraft valued at 2.4 billion dollars to guarantee the nation’s devastating global strike capability. Chief Love organizes, trains, and equips personnel to execute safe and compliant aircraft and munitions maintenance. He manages the group’s manpower needs to ensure authorization levels remain aligned with operational requirements, and oversees training for 27 diverse career fields.
Chief Love enlisted in the United States Air Force in October 1996. Upon completion of technical training, he was assigned as a flight line Propulsion Technician in the 352d Special Operations Maintenance Squadron, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom. Since then, he has served in multiple key positions to include, C-130J Stand-Up Initial Cadre, C-130J Quality Assurance Inspector, AMU Production Superintendent, AMU Lead Production Superintendent, Quality Assurance Superintendent, MAJCOM Functional Manager, Ebola Transportation Isolation System Design and Flight Test team member, MAJCOM Chief of Propulsion, and Squadron Superintendent. Chief Love has deployed in support of Operation ALLIED FORCE, Operation NOTHERN WATCH, Operation INHERENT RESOLVE, Operation FREEDOM’S SENTINEL, and humanitarian relief efforts in support of Operation TOMADACHI. Prior to assuming his current position, Chief Love served as the 20th Component Maintenance Squadron Superintendent at Shaw AFB, South Carolina.
1999 Airman Leadership School, In-Residence, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
2002 Rolls-Royce Model T56/501D Engine Line Maintenance Course, Indianapolis, Ind.
2004 Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, In-Residence, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2004 GE/Dowty Aerospace Propeller Customer Training Course, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
2005 Rolls-Royce Model AE2100D3 Engine Line Maintenance Course, Indianapolis, Ind.
2006 AETC Maintenance Management Course, Little Rock AFB, Ark,
2007 Associate of Applied Science Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force
2008 Jet Engine Mishap Investigation Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2009 Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Correspondence Course
2010 Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, In-Residence Course, Gunter AFB, Ala.
2014 Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Operations School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2014 Communication Skills Training, Barry-Wehmiller Institute, Scott AFB, Ill.
2015 Win-Win Negotiation Strategies, Baker Communications Inc, Scott AFB, Ill.
2017 Chief Leadership Course, In-Residence, Gunter AFB, Ala.
2020 Theory of Constraints Logistics Seminar, Goldratt Consulting Group, Shaw AFB, S.C.
2020 Developing and Implementing an Outward Mindset, The Arbinger Institute, Shaw AFB, S.C.
1. October 1996 - December 1996 Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. December 1996 - March 1997 Trainee, Aerospace Propulsion Technical School, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. April 1997 - October 2000 MC-130H/P Propulsion Journeyman, 352d Maintenance Squadron RAF Mildenhall, England
4. October 2000 - September 2003 C-130E Propulsion Craftsman, 53rd Airlift Squadron / 314th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron Little Rock AFB, Ark.
5. September 2003 – September 2005 C-130J Propulsion Craftsman (Initial Cadre), 314th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron Little Rock AFB, Ark.
6. September 2005 - September 2006 C-130E/H/J Quality Assurance Inspector, 314th Maintenance Group Little Rock AFB, Ark.
7. September 2006 - August 2008 Propulsion Flight Assistant Flight Chief, 314th Maintenance Squadron Little Rock AFB, Ark.
8. August 2008 - June 2009 Production Superintendent, 353rd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, Japan
9. June 2009 - June 2010 Lead Production Superintendent, 353rd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, Japan
10. June 2010 - August 2012 Quality Assurance Superintendent, 353rd Maintenance Group, Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, Japan
11. August 2012 - July 2014 C-130 Propulsion Functional Manager, Head Quarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
12. July 2014 - May 2016 Chief of Propulsion, Head Quarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
13. May 2016 - June 2017 Squadron Superintendent, 380th Expeditionary Maintenance Squadron, Undisclosed Location, Southwest Asia
14. July 2017 - June 2019 Wing Propulsion Manager, 20th Component Maintenance Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
15. June 2019 – Jan 2021 Squadron Superintendent, 20th Component Maintenance Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
16. Jan 2021 – Present Superintendent, 2d Maintenance Group, Barksdale AFB, La.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four devices
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award with two devices
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor with eleven devices
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon - Short
Air Force Overseas Ribbon - Long with one device
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
2004 C-130J Operational Test & Evaluation (OT&E) Outstanding Performer
2005-2007 Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) Dean's List
2007 Senior Non-Commissioned Officer of the Quarter - Group and Wing
2007 AETC Maintenance Management Course Distinguished Graduate
2010 Lance P. Sijan Leadership Award - 353d Special Operations Group (Wing Equivalent)
2011 HQ AFSOC Maintenance Effectiveness Award
2012 Secretary of Defense Aircraft Maintenance Award - 353d Special Operations Group
2014 Senior Non-Commissioned Officer of the Year – HQ AMC/A4M
2014 Lance P. Sijan Leadership Award – HQ AMC/A4M
2015 USTRANSCOM Innovation Showcase Award
2015 AF OT&E Theodor Von Karman Award Nominee
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant - February 1, 2016
(Current as of March 2021)