PRINT | E-MAIL
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD OFFICIAL AIR FORCE FORMATTED BIO
Colonel Mark C. Dmytryszyn is the Commander, 2d Bomb Wing, Barksdale Air Force Base, La. He is responsible for providing combat-ready B-52H aircraft, crews, and associated combat support to conduct global operational taskings. As Barksdale’s installation commander, he support 32 tenant units, including Headquarters, Air Force Global Strike Command; Headquarter, 8th Air Force; and the Air Force Reserve Command’s 307th Bomb Wing. He promotes the welfare of more than 11,400 military and civilian personnel, 6,300 family members, and 25,000 retirees.
Colonel Dmytryszyn was commissioned in 1999 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program. His staff assignments included serving as a Joint Staff operations officer providing expertise on nuclear and conventional global strike issues, policy matters, and plans development; Pacific Air Forces’ Chief of Strategy and Plans, developing Agile Combat Employment (ACE) and shaping multi-domain operations for the largest geographic combatant command; and Ninth Air Force’s Chief of Staff where he developed the Air Force’s Joint Task Force-capable core headquarters. His education offered experiences with the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Cyber Policy and the Deputy Secretary of Defense.
Colonel Dmytryszyn is an outstanding graduate of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School, a graduate of the School of Advanced Air and Space Studies and a distinguished graduate of the Army War College. He is a command pilot with more than 3,000 hours including combat in Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM. His previous assignment was the Vice Commander, 321st Air Expeditionary Wing and Deputy Commander-Support for Combine Joint Task Force-Operation INHERENT RESOLVE Task Force-Air.
1999 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics, University of Minnesota – Twin Cities, Minneapolis, Minn.
1999 Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, University of Minnesota – Twin Cities, Minneapolis, Minn.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Correspondence
2009 Master of Science Degree in Engineering Management, Walden University, Minneapolis, Minn.
2011 Air Force Fellows Strategic Policy Intern
2012 Master of Philosophy Degree in Strategy, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Air War College, Correspondence
2017 Master of Strategic Studies Degree, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Penn.
2019 Middle East and South Asia Political-Economic Conflict Seminar, Washington, DC
2020 Space Nuclear Command, Control, and Communications Certificate, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Cal.
2020 Nuclear Weapons Effects, Policy, and Proliferation Certificate (ongoing), Air Force Institute of Technology, Ohio.
1. August 1999 - December 1999, Airfield Operations Officer, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
2. January 2000 - January 2001, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, MS
3. March 2001 - September 2001, Student, B-52 Formal Training Unit, Barksdale AFB, LA
4. October 2001 - April 2007, Pilot, Aircraft Commander, Instructor Pilot and Executive Officer (5th Operations Group), 23rd Bomb Squadron, Minot AFB, ND
5. May 2007 - June 2010, Weapons School Instructor and Evaluator Pilot, 340th Weapons Squadron, Barksdale AFB, LA and USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, NV
6. July 2010 - June 2011, Strategic Policy Intern, Air Force Fellows Program, the Pentagon, DC
7. July 2011 - June 2012, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, AL
8. July 2012 - June 2014, Operations Officer, Operations Directorate (J-3), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, DC
9. July 2014 - December 2014, Director of Operations, 69th Bomb Squadron, Minot AFB, ND
10. December 2014 - June 2016, Commander, 5th Operations Support Squadron, Minot AFB, ND
11. July 2016 - June 2017, Student, Advanced Strategic Arts Program, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, PA
12. July 2017 - July 2018, Chief of Strategy and Plans Division, Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, HI
13. August 2018 - June 2019, Chief of Staff, Ninth Air Force, Shaw AFB, SC
14. July 2019 - June 2020, Deputy Commander-Support, CJTF-OIR’s Task Force-Air and Vice Commander, 321st Air Expeditionary Wing, Union III, Baghdad, Iraq
15. July 2020 - Present, Commander, 2d Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2012 - June 2014, Operations Officer, Operations Directorate (J-3), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, DC, as a major and lieutenant colonel
2. July 2019 – June 2019, Deputy Commander-Support, CJTF-OIR’s Task Force-Air, as a colonel
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,000 (more than 400 combat hours)
Aircraft flown: B-52H, T-37, T-38A; minor time in other airframes including E-8, EA-6B, F-16D, TAV-8B
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with valor device and oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with two bronze stars
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with ‘N’ device
“Preparing for Satellite Laser Uplinks and Downlinks,” with Matthew Crook and Timothy Sands., Sci, Volume 2, Issue 1 (https://doi.org/10.3390/sci2010016), March 2020; Ver. 2 (Revised) June 2020 (https://doi.org/10.3390/sci2020044), Ver. 3 (Revised) September 2020 (https://doi.org/10.3390/sci2030071)
“Distant Blocking of Celestial Lines of Communications Using Electromagnetic Pulse,” with Timothy Sands., Applied Physics Research, Volume 12, Number 4 (https://doi.org/10.5539/apr.v12n4p92)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 17, 1999
First Lieutenant July 17, 2001
Captain July 17, 2003
Major June 1, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel December 1, 2013
Colonel May 1, 2018
(Current as of October 2020)