Colonel Michael A. Miller is the commander of the 2nd Bomb Wing, Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana. He is responsible for providing combat-ready B-52H aircraft, crews, and associated combat support to conduct global operational taskings. As Barksdale’s installation commander, he supports 32 tenant units, including Headquarters, Air Force Global Strike Command; Headquarters, 8th Air Force; and the Air Force Reserve Command’s 307th Bomb Wing. He promotes the welfare of more than 11,400 military and civilian personnel, 6,300 family members and 25,000 retirees.
Colonel Miller received his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps in 1994. He has served in a variety of flying and staff positions including Commander, 9th Bomb Squadron, Deputy Commander, 7th Mission Support Group and Vice Commander, 7th Bomb Wing. Colonel Miller is a published author of two Congressional Research Reports to Congress, is a graduate of the USAF's Weapons School, and holds masters’ degrees from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Air Command and Staff College, and The School of Advanced Air and Space Studies. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Director, Joint-Global Strike Operations Center, Barksdale AFB, LA.
Colonel Miller is a B-52 and B-1 weapon systems officer with more than 2,400 hours; including more than 700 combat hours in Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.
1993 Bachelor of Science degree, Geography, Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville
1999 Master of Business Administration, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
2000 Squadron Officer School (distinguished graduate), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 United States Air Force Weapons Instructor Course (flying award), Nellis AFB, Nev.
2007 Master of Military Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Master of Air Power Art and Science, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Air War College, by correspondence
2012 Fellow, USAF National Defense, Congressional Research Service, Washington, D.C.
2014 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1. October 1994 - March 1995, Student, combat missile crew initial qualification, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
2. March 1995 - April 1997, Deputy Commander, Missile Combat Crew and Evaluator, Minot AFB, N.D.
3. April 1997 - July 1998, Student, undergraduate navigator training, Pensacola NAS, Fla.
4. July 1998 - October 1998, Student, Joint Aviation Electronic Warfare School, NAS Corry Station, Fla.
5. October 1998 - August 1999, Student, B-1 Initial Qualification, Dyess AFB, Texas
6. August 1999 - December 2002, Instructor, B-1 Weapons System Officer, Assistant Flight Commander for Scheduling, and Chief of Standardization and Evaluations, 37th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
7. January 2003 - June 2003, Student, USAF Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. July 2003 - June 2004, Chief, Weapons and Tactics, 9th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
9. July 2004 - June 2005, Commander, Combat Plans Flight, 7th Operational Support Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
10. July 2005 - July 2006, Chief, Information Systems Flight and B-1 Initial Qualification Instructor, 28th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
11. July 2006 - July 2008, Student, Air Command and Staff College and School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. July 2008 - July 2009, Chief, Strategic Plans, United States Air Forces Central Command, Combined Air Operations Center, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
13. November 2009 - July 2011, Commander, 9th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
14. July 2011 - July 2012, Deputy Commander, 7th Mission Support Group, Dyess AFB, Texas
15. July 2012 - June 2013, Fellow, USAF National Defense, Congressional Research Service, Washington, D.C.
16. June 2013 - June 2015, Chief, North-West Africa Division, Deputy Directorate Political-Military Affairs (J5), Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
17. June 2015 – July 2017, Vice Wing Commander, 7th Bomb Wing, Dyess AFB, Texas
18. July 2017 – June 2018, Director, Joint-Global Strike Operations Center, Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana.
19. June 2018 – Present, Commander, 2nd Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, Louisiana
Rating: Master Navigator
Flight hours: more than 2,400 hours (more than 700 combat hours)
Aircraft flown: T-34C, T-1, T-39, B-1B, and B-52H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal