PRINT | E-MAIL
Col Michael J. Colvard is Commander of the 2d Maintenance Group, Barksdale Air Force Base (AFB),
Louisiana. As Commander, Colonel Colvard oversees maintenance and munitions operations of the Air
Force’s largest and most diverse bomb wing. He leads 2,000 Total Force Airmen in three squadrons
with 29 assigned B-52H aircraft to ensure devastating global strike capability.
Colonel Colvard enlisted in the Air Force in August 1986 obtained his Bachelor of Science degree at
Wayland Baptist University and received his commission by Officer Training School in May 1996. Over
the course of his 34 year career in Aircraft Maintenance, he served in six Major Commands and three
Headquarter staffs to include the Headquarters U.S. Air Force. Colonel Colvard commanded three
squadrons to include the 376th Expeditionary Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Manas Air Base,
Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Colvard served as a student at Air War College, Maxwell
Air Force Base, Alabama.
1995 Bachelor of Science, Occupational Education, Wayland Baptist University, Plainview, Texas
2001 Master of Science, Logistics Management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson
AFB, Ohio 2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air Command and Staff College; Correspondence
2011 Advanced Program in Logistics and Technology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2013 Air War College; Correspondence
2018 Master of Strategic Studies; Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. May 1996 – August 1996, Student, Aircraft Maintenance Officer’s Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. August 1996 – July 1999, Maintenance Flight Commander, 16th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Helicopter Maintenance Unit Officer in Charge (OIC), 16th Helicopter Generation Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Florida
3. June 1999 – March 2001, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. March 2001 – August 2003, Chief, Modernization Systems Analysis Section; Executive Officer, Director of Logistics, Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
5. August 2003 – July 2006, Helicopter Maintenance Unit OIC, Aircraft Maintenance Unit OIC, Maintenance Operations Officer, 352nd Maintenance Squadron, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, United Kingdom
6. July 2006 – June 2008, Operations Officer, 7th Component Maintenance Squadron, 7th Maintenance Operations Squadron, 7th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
7. June 2008 – July 210 Commander, 7th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
8. April 2009 – October 2009, Commander, 376th Expeditionary Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Manas Air Base, Kyrgyzstan
9. July 2010 – June 2012, Chief, Weapons Systems Branch, Headquarters Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Florida
10. June 2012 – July 2014, Commander, 28th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
11. July 2014 – July 2017, Chief, Aircraft Maintenance Education and Training Branch; Deputy Chief, Maintenance Division; Chief, Aircraft Maintenance Force Development Branch, Headquarters US Air Force, Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. April 2015 – October 2015, Chief, Training and Engagements Division, Office-Defense
Representative Pakistan, US Embassy Islamabad Pakistan
13. July 2017 – June 2018, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. June 2018 – Present –Commander, 2d Maintenance Group, Barksdale AFB, Louisiana
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 3, 1996
First Lieutenant May 3, 1998
Captain May 3, 2000
Major April 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2011
Colonel July 1, 2017
(Current as of July 2020)