Colonel Joseph W. McKenna is Vice Commander, 2d Bomb Wing, Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana. He assists the Commander in providing for the health and welfare of more than 11,400 military and civilian personnel, 6,300 family members, and 25,000 retirees. He also shares the responsibility for ensuring the 2nd Bomb Wing maintains a constant state of readiness to provide flexible and responsive combat capability in support of United States Strategic Command and theater combatant commanders.
Colonel McKenna received his commission through Manhattan College's Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps in 1999. His assignments include technical intelligence analysis, nuclear operations, developmental and operational flight test, squadron command, and headquarters staff. Prior to his current assignment, Colonel McKenna was a resident student in the Advanced Defense Management Program, United States Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania. Colonel McKenna is a Master Navigator with over 2,000 hours in 35 different aircraft types, including 350 combat hours. He is a Department of Defense Acquisition Corps member and holds a Level 3 certification in Test and Evaluation.
1999 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, Manhattan College, Riverdale, N.Y.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Master of Science, Leadership and Information Technology, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, Pa.
2008 Master of Science, Flight Test Engineering, US Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2009 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2012 Master of Military Arts and Science, US Army Command and General Staff College, Ft Leavenworth, Kan.
2014 Air War College, by correspondence
2021 Distinguished Graduate, Master of Strategic Studies, US Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. August 1999 - November 2002, Foreign Materiel Engineer, National Air Intelligence Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. November 2002 - September 2003, Distinguished Graduate, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. October 2003 - August 2004, Distinguished Graduate, B-52 Formal Training Unit, Barksdale AFB, La.
4. August 2004 - November 2007, Navigator, Flight Commander, and Executive Officer (5th Operations Group), 23d Bomb Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
5. December 2007 - December 2008, Student, US Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
6. January 2009 - June 2011, B-52 and B-1 Experimental Weapon Systems Officer, and Chief, Standardization and Evaluation,419th Flight Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
7. July 2011 - June 2012, Student, US Army Command and General Staff College, Ft Leavenworth, Kan.
8. June 2012 - June 2014, Chief, Aircraft Modernization, and Chief, Action Group, Assistant Chief of Staff for Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters United States Air Force
9. June 2014 - July 2015, Director of Operations, 49th Test and Evaluation Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
10. July 2015 - August 2016, Deputy Commander, 2d Operations Group, Barksdale AFB, La.
11. August 2016 - July 2018, Commander, 49th Test and Evaluation Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
12. July 2018 - July 2019, Senior Executive Officer to the Commander, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
13. July 2019 - July 2020, Chief, Combat Plans Division, 608th Air Operations Center, Barksdale AFB, La.
14. July 2020 - June 2021, Student, US Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
15.June 2021 - Present, Vice Commander, 2d Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
Rating: Master Navigator
Flight hours: More than 2,000 hours
Aircraft flown: B-52H, B-1B, and 33 other aircraft types
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with "N" device
(Current as of July 2021)